Duckett, Gleeson and White all set for North-South Series
Mark Wood, Steven Finn and James Vince are among the players who will be given the chance to press their England one-day claims in the first North versus South series in the UAE next March.
Wood, who is on the comeback trail again after having his third ankle operation in the space of 12 months in the autumn, has been named in a North squad to be captained by his Durham team-mate Keaton Jennings, and also including Northamptonshire Steelbacks star Ben Duckett.
Vince, the Hampshire captain who has made 10 white-ball appearances for England since May 2015, will lead a South squad including his county team-mates Liam Dawson, Tom Alsop and teenage legspinner Mason Crane.
Finn made the last of his 65 ODI appearances in September 2015, but the chance to lead the South attack in the three-match series offers the opportunity to impress ahead of a domestic summer in which England will host the ICC Champions Trophy in June.
“For all the players selected, the North versus South series is a platform to make an impression,” said the National Selector James Whitaker after the squads were finalised this week.
“As Andrew Strauss said when he introduced the series before the start of the 2016 season, we see it as an important addition to our selection process in 50-over cricket, ahead of the two major global events we are staging over the next three summers – the Champions Trophy next year, and the World Cup in 2019.
“With the calibre of the squads we have selected, we are confident there will be an intense and high-quality level of competition that allows us to assess players who are currently just outside the England squad, and their ability to perform at that higher level.
“The teams will be led by two members of the senior England coaching staff – Paul Farbrace with the South, and Ottis Gibson with the North. They were both involved in the selection process, and the England head coach Trevor Bayliss will be attending the matches with me next March.”
Four players in each team had already earned their places through their performances in the 2016 Royal London One-Day Cup, measured by the Professional Cricketers’ Association’s Most Valuable Player rankings.
Duckett, Graeme White, Tim Bresnan and Harry Gurney qualified from the North Group, with Dawson, Matt Coles and the Somerset pair Lewis Gregory and Tim Groenewald qualifying from the South Group.
The selectors have added eight members of the Lions squad announced earlier this week for the one-day series against Sri Lanka A in March – Jennings, Joe Clarke, Liam Livingstone and Josh Poysden to the North squad, and Alsop, Daniel Bell-Drummond, Ben Foakes and Tom Curran to the South. They will all head direct to Dubai from Sri Lanka at the end of the Lions tour.
But Whitaker added: “We also wanted to use this series as an opportunity to see some other players who have shown potential in the county game.”
Falling into that category in the North team are Sam Hain, a 21-year-old batsman who played a big part in Warwickshire’s successful Royal London One-Day Cup campaign in 2016; Jack Leaning, a 23-year-old Yorkshire batsman who was the Cricket Writers’ Club Young Player of the Year in 2015, and impressed in white-ball cricket last summer; Saqib Mahmood, a 19-year-old Lancashire fast bowler who made his England Lions debut last summer after leading the England Under-19s attack for the previous two years; and Richard Gleeson, another Lancastrian fast bowler – from Blackpool – who was a much later developer, and had been playing Minor Counties cricket for Cumberland until seizing a chance with Northamptonshire last season.
In addition to the MVP qualifiers and the Lions players, the South squad is completed by Dawid Malan, the experienced Middlesex batsman who earned a place in England’s T20 squad through his Lions performances last winter; Sam Northeast, the 27-year-old Kent captain who has been a consistent run-scorer for the Spitfires in both 50-over and T20 cricket; and Crane, who was a team-mate of Mahmood’s at the ICC Under-19 World Cup earlier this year.
Hampshire are the county with the strongest representation in the squads, providing four players to the South, while Kent Spitfires have three players selected, as do Northamptonshire Steelbacks which gives them the most in the North squad.
The squads will gather in Dubai ahead of warm-up matches on March 15, with the first two matches of the series at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on March 17 and 19 before it concludes at the Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi on March 21.
Squads for North versus South series, March 2017
North: K Jennings (Durham, capt), B Duckett (Northamptonshire Steelbacks*), S Hain (Warwickshire), J Clarke (Worcestershire Rapids, wk), L Livingstone (Lancashire Lightning), J Leaning (Yorkshire Vikings), T Bresnan (Yorkshire Vikings*), J Poysden (Warwickshire), G White (Northamptonshire Steelbacks*), M Wood (Durham), S Mahmood (Lancashire Lightning), R Gleeson (Northamptonshire Steelbacks), H Gurney (Notts Outlaws*).
South: J Vince (Hampshire, capt), D Bell-Drummond (Kent Spitfires), T Alsop (Hampshire), D Malan (Middlesex), S Northeast (Kent Spitfires), L Dawson (Hampshire*), B Foakes (Surrey, wk), T Curran (Surrey), L Gregory (Somerset*), T Groenewald (Somerset*), M Coles (Kent Spitfires*), S Finn (Middlesex), M Crane (Hampshire).
Alex Wakely (17)
Graeme White (13)
Steven Crook (12)
Josh Cobb (10)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Ben Sanderson (9)
Richard Levi (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Rob Keogh (6)
Olly Stone (5)
David Murphy (5)
Saif Zaib (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (3)
Rob Newton (3)
David Ripley (3)
Phil Rowe (3)
Rory Kleinveldt (3)
north v south (3)
Mohammad Azharullah (2)
Chris Tombs (2)
England Lions (2)
Max Holden (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Gavin Warren (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- A BUSY YEAR FOR DAVID MURPHY
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- WELCOME TO THE NEW CLUB SHOP!
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- Stone and Levi injury Update
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- Northamptonshire set to host South Africa tour matches in 2017
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- Edgbaston set to host England’s first Day/Night Test match against West Indies in 2017
- Cricket stays at the cutting edge of science and medicine
- Fancy jetting off to Barbados with the Steelbacks next spring?
- PETER ARNOLD - 90 NOT OUT!
- 'HODGE' - A TRIBUTE
- Steelbacks v South Africa - Hospitality
- THE COUNTY CORPORATE CLUB
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- Made Of Steel: Episode 7
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- Northants cricket shop re-launch!
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- Match Report | Northamptonshire V Loughborough University
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT: NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2