2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
Richard Levi’s 28-ball half-century helped Northamptonshire to consecutive wins in the NatWest T20 Blast with a record T20 run-chase of 196 at Wantage Road. Levi’s 58 in 37 balls gave the Steelbacks a flowing start and Steven Crook’s 33 in 24 balls finished the job.
Requiring the best part of 10-per-over, Northants kept pace with the chase throughout with Josh Cobb making 35 in 23 balls and Ben Duckett 29 in 15 balls. Only leg-spinner Matt Critchley found any control for Derbyshire, his three overs yielding 19.
Levi was in belligerent mood once again after an opening-round 61 against Leicestershire. His second scoring stroke was a six - the trademark clip off the legs - and his added three more maximums, including a sweet straight lofted-drive off Shiv Thakor, before the Powerplay was complete. The first six overs were worth a healthy 77 for 1.
Cobb found form in two second XI T20s earlier in the week and here began with a classic straight-drive before clearing his front leg to smear Alex Hughes over midwicket and pulling another wide of long-on.
Duckett got his “duck-scoop” away to begin the 15th over that yielded 18 runs to bring the equation back to 46 required in 30 balls. But after an outrageous reverse sweep that flew straight into the burger van for six, he tried the same stroke and top-edged to Thakor at backward point.
Crook helped reduce the target to 16 from 12 balls and then smashed Jimmy Neesham over extra-cover for four. Just five were needed from the final over but Rory Kleinveldt was caught at long-on trying to finish the game in style, before Andy Carter worked Rob Keogh to still leave a single needed from two balls. But a high full toss was cut over backward point to seal victory.
It was a mighty chase - the highest for Northamptonshire in T20s - after Derbyshire posted 195 for 7.
Buoyed by an opening-round victory at champions Lancashire, the visitors were sent in and raced off to a great start thanks to Durston. He took Steven Crook’s first over for 19 - two heaved pulls flew towards the short boundary and a slammed uppercut for six over point to the long side of the ground.
He helped the visitors to 65 off the Powerplay - Northants’ only joy from a catch at extra-cover to remove Hamish Rutherford for 10 - but they lost Durston on the cusp of a half-century before skipping down to Seekkuge Prasanna and being stumped for 47.
It ended a stand of 74 for the second wicket in just 36 balls. Chesney Hughes played his part with 46 in 29 balls - having begun with three boundaries, all of them off the edge of the bat: two flashing past slip and a top-edge that Adam Rossington couldn’t take behind the stumps.
But having been 110 for 3 after 11 overs, Northants hauled back the Derbyshire innings with four wickets in 11 balls. Josh Cobb, the stand-in captain, was taken for four, six, four in successive balls by Wayne Madsen before gaining his revenge by trapping Madsen lbw trying to sweep. Hughes then seemed to miss a straight delivery, bowled middle stump, to give Cobb a second wicket in the over.
Olly Stone returned to have Jimmy Neesham caught at first slip - a hat-tip to captain Cobb - and when Graeme White claimed a return catch from Tahakor, 140 for 3 had become 151 for 7.
But Tom Poynton found two boundaries in the closing overs, coupled with some good running in his 37 in 21 balls, to put up a testing target. It proved not enough.
Steven Crook said:
“To chase nearly 200 is a great effort, some proper entertainment for the crowd. Credit to Rich Levi he set up up once again and we’re buzzing two from two.
“The advantage of having a long order is that we’ve got guys who can strike the ball really cleanly throughout and we’re really chuffed to have chased that down."
Alex Wakely (21)
Graeme White (15)
Steven Crook (14)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Josh Cobb (11)
Richard Gleeson (10)
Rob Keogh (8)
Max Holden (7)
Richard Levi (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Saif Zaib (6)
Olly Stone (5)
Monty Panesar (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (4)
Rob Newton (4)
David Ripley (4)
David Murphy (4)
Mohammad Azharullah (4)
Rory Kleinveldt (4)
Phil Rowe (3)
Olly Murs (3)
north v south (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
England Lions (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
England U19 (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
David Sales (1)
Nathan Buck (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- WELCOME TO THE NEW CLUB SHOP!
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- Stone and Levi injury Update
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- BEN SANDERSON SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR DEAL
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- Northamptonshire set to host South Africa tour matches in 2017
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- Edgbaston set to host England’s first Day/Night Test match against West Indies in 2017
- Cricket stays at the cutting edge of science and medicine
- Fancy jetting off to Barbados with the Steelbacks next spring?
- PETER ARNOLD - 90 NOT OUT!
- 'HODGE' - A TRIBUTE
- Steelbacks v South Africa - Hospitality
- THE COUNTY CORPORATE CLUB
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- Made Of Steel: Episode 8
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- DUCKETT TO FEATURE FOR MCC
- Graeme White called up to England Lions one-day squad
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- Northants cricket shop re-launch!
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- Welcome Back Seekkuge Prasanna!
- PlayerLayer Announces Kit Partnership with Northamptonshire CCC
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- Strauss raises stakes for North-South Series
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- CROOK ALL SET FOR SEASON KICK OFF
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day Two
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- TAYLOR AND SALES JOIN THE COACHING LINE UP
- TWO MORE TONS AS LOUGHBOROUGH MAKE HAY
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!