BEN DUCKETT - AND 23 OTHERS...
Ben Duckett has become the 24th player to represent England in Test cricket whilst with Northamptonshire - so who are the other 23? Andrew Radd asks - and answers - the question in an article reproduced by permission of the Northamptonshire Telegraph.
Every now and again a quiz question crops up that just cries out for the late John Scopes and a pint of Greene King IPA.
Other fine ales are available, of course.
Northamptonshire’s former cricket chairman – and one half of the local game’s best-known double act – liked nothing more than being set, and then trying out on others, a tricky poser with plenty of answers to tease and tantalise.
After all, what are beer mats for if not to scribble lists on?
And he would have relished not only Ben Duckett’s Test debut in Bangladesh but also the question it prompted – who are the other 23 cricketers to have played in Tests for England whilst with NCCC?
As with so many other County-related achievements, George Thompson was the first to do it.
The selectors picked him for the opening match of the 1909 Ashes series at Edgbaston, and although his was only a walk-on part there – run out for six in his only innings and four wicketless overs – he then appeared in all five Tests in South Africa the following winter.
A series best-remembered, perhaps, for the fact that the star of England’s attack was the Worcestershire amateur George Simpson-Hayward, who bowled underarm.
Another great all-rounder, Vallance Jupp, is number two – and there’s a pleasing link here.
Jupp, who had first worn England colours back in 1921, went to South Africa with MCC in 1922-23, and who should be umpiring the Second and Third Tests in Cape Town and Durban?
Correct. George Thompson.
It’s a moot point whether Jupp should count as a Northamptonshire player in this particular series.
He had been appointed Secretary at Wantage Road at the end of 1921 but was obliged to serve a two-year residential qualification before he could represent his new club, and in 1922 turned out occasionally for Sussex.
It was 1923 before Jupp made his (non-Championship) debut for Northamptonshire – although he later played in two Tests against the West Indies in 1928, so he’s second on our list in any case.
The Pride of Elton, ‘Nobby’ Clark, and St John’s Tiffield boy Fred Bakewell became England cricketers in 1929 and 1931 respectively, but there was a long wait – with the Second World War in between – before Dennis Brookes gained his one-and-only cap against West Indies in January 1948.
That made five. And from then on Northamptonshire selections became a bit more frequent, thanks in no small measure to the influence of number six.
Freddie Brown’s return to the Test arena (after a 12-year gap) came in 1949, his first season at the County Ground, and within a decade Frank Tyson, Keith Andrew and Raman Subba Row had followed him into the England team – with David Larter, Colin Milburn and Roger Prideaux all getting the nod in the 1960s.
Like Jupp and Brown before him, fast bowler Bob Cottam was already a Test player when he joined Northamptonshire – and added two more appearances to his tally on Tony Lewis’s tour to the subcontinent in 1972-73.
Which brings us to the most instantly-recognisable of the lot.
For those of us around at the time, the elevation of David Stanley Steele from county-circuit journeyman to national icon in 1975 remains a treasured memory – or, rather, a series of them.
Lord’s, Headingley, The Oval, BBC Sports Personality of the Year…
And his non-selection for the Indian trip at the end of 1976 still rankles. The moment it stops rankling I shall start worrying about my own marbles.
Peter Willey joined ‘Stainless’ in England’s ranks during the summer of ’76, and in swift order County supporters were also able to celebrate call-ups for Wayne Larkins, Geoff Cook, Allan Lamb, David Capel, Nick Cook (another to make his Test debut before coming to Wantage Road) and Rob Bailey.
Indeed, the selectors’ predilection for all things Northamptonshire reached its pinnacle in 1990 when Lamb, Larkins, Capel and Bailey all made Graham Gooch’s tour party to the Caribbean.
Since then it’s been a less glorious tale.
Paul Taylor earned a couple of appearances – one in Calcutta, the other against New Zealand at Lord’s – while the young lad he’d suggested ought to try spin rather than seam at a schoolboy coaching session, Monty Panesar, became our 23rd representative at Nagpur in 2006.
Now the boy Duckett has made it a nice round two-dozen for the club, and the burning question is who will be number 25 on Scopesy’s celestial beer mat?
You can read Andrew Radd's column every Thursday in the Northamptonshire Telegraph.
Alex Wakely (25)
Graeme White (17)
Steven Crook (16)
Josh Cobb (13)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (11)
Richard Levi (10)
Rob Keogh (9)
Saif Zaib (7)
Rory Kleinveldt (7)
Max Holden (7)
Rob Newton (6)
David Murphy (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Mohammad Azharullah (6)
Monty Panesar (4)
David Ripley (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (3)
Phil Rowe (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
England Lions (1)
north v south (1)
David Sales (1)
Luke Procter (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- N-TRANCE join Boombastic 90’s in Northampton for another huge NYE Party!
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE
- Rob Newton has signed a new two-year deal at NCCC
- STEELBACKS CRUISE TO VICTORY OVER THE RAPIDS
- Derbyshire and Northants frustrated by heavy rain
- Steelbacks Lose thriller at Wantage Road
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LANCASHIRE LIGHTNING
- David Murphy to retire at the end of the season
- HOLDEN RETURNS TO NCCC FOR RED BALL CRICKET
- Kerrigan joins NCCC on one months loan
- STEELBACKS DEFEAT THE RAPIDS AT NEW ROAD
- 'KINGO' IS HONOURED WITH NEW AWARD
- NCCC to host first T20 Pro:Am
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LEICESTERSHIRE FOXES
- Report | Yorkshire Vikings Vs Steelbacks
- White signs contract extension
- Report | Steelbacks Vs Durham Jets
- Academy and U17s Enjoying strong Success
- Under-17s reach ECB Championship Final for the first time in 20 years
- NCCC Academy u17 trio help Midlands secure Super 4 trophy
- Day 1 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 2 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 3 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- DAY 4 REPORT - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE V NCCC
- Luke Procter joins Northamptonshire on loan
- Ben Sanderson signs three year contract
- PROMOTION SUCCESS FOR THE STEELETTOS
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS SUSSEX
- Local organisations come together to help open new creative studio for young mental health patients
- WHITE UNDERGOES SHOULDER SURGERY
- SYD STARKIE 1926-2017
- DUCKETT SUFFERS FRACTURED FINGER
- Day 4 Report | Nottinghamshire Vs NCCC
- KLEINVELDT CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS AFTER CAREER BESTS
- SEAM BOWLER MUHAMMAD AZHARULLAH WILL LEAVE NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AT THE END OF THE 2017 SEASON
- Day 3 Report | Leicestershire vs Northamptonshire
- Northamptonshire sign seam bowling all-rounder Brett Hutton
- LEVI BAGS FOUR ON NCCC AWARDS NIGHT
- DUCKETT HEADED FOR AUSTRALIA WITH THE ENGLAND LIONS
- A note from Azhar