Under-17s reach ECB Championship Final for the first time in 20 years
Northamptonshire’s Under-17s have been celebrating after their victory over Yorkshire in the semi-finals of the ECB Championship last week.
It means the County boys will face Sussex at Arundel Castle in the national final on August 29, 30 and 31 – two decades almost to the day since the County claimed the title for the first time.
“We see the Under-17s as a flagship age-group,” explains development coach Kevin Innes, who runs the squad alongside Andy O’Connor.
“There are some good cricketers there, and if they take their chances – who knows? They might earn a contract with the club and kick on.
“To play at Arundel will be a real privilege and it should be a good contest. As always, it’s whoever plays best over the three days.”
The semi-final at Weetwood featured outstanding individual performances from two Northamptonshire Academy players, Conner Haddow and Andrew Bramley.
Haddow, a left-arm spinner at High Wycombe CC, had a lot to do with the team making the last four – capturing 20 wickets in the two group victories over Nottinghamshire (6-38 and 6-22) and Wales (4-39 and 4-56).
And against the Tykes he claimed 4-90 from 28 overs to help dismiss the hosts for 280. Then Bramley’s knock of 175 – backed up by Horton House’s Ewan Cox (88) and Ben Coddington of Rushton (78) – saw Northamptonshire claim a 200-run lead, and although Yorkshire avoided an ‘outright’ defeat (four more wickets for Haddow from a marathon 46-over stint!) Ben Claydon’s side were into the final.
“Conner is very, very talented and we have high hopes for him,” says Innes.
“Andrew has been threatening for a while. He’d made 20s and 30s without building on that. This was just the perfect innings at the perfect time – and once he gets going he’s hard to stop!”
“The three-day format we play now is definitely better than two-day cricket. The best teams win because you have to aim to bowl a side out twice, rather than it just being all about the first innings.
“We also reached the semi-finals of the one-day competition (losing to Lancashire at Ormskirk last month) and that shows we have cricketers able to play in different situations.
“It’s not just about batsmen who can occupy the crease for a long time. We have lads who can get on with it as well, and that’s a good combination.”
The playing regulations were very different back in 1997 when Northamptonshire’s youngsters – managed by Dr Tony Pont with former Essex and England paceman Neil Foster as coach – claimed the silverware.
The one-day group matches were followed by two-day games from the quarter-finals onwards, and after dispatching Devon in the last eight (thanks largely to a Rob White century and 93 not out from Mark Powell) it was back to Lynn Wilson’s beautiful ground at Holcot for the semi against Durham.
Richard Logan and Michael Dobson skittled the visitors for 130, but at 43-5 Northamptonshire were in deep trouble – and former County captain Geoff Cook, managing the Durham side, looked set to put one over on his old club.
But he reckoned without Logan and skipper Mark Chatfield, who knocked off the rest of the runs.
And so to Worcester for the final against Hampshire, played against the somewhat surreal backdrop of the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales just the day before.
On a damp pitch, Northamptonshire collapsed again to 92-8. This time Chatfield and Dobson rode to the rescue and lifted the total to a defendable 162.
Hampshire had slumped to 45-6 by the close of the first day, and next morning were routed for 66.
“Tony Pont brought a lot to that team,” recalls Chatfield, who after gaining a First in Mathematics at Oxford University now lives and works in Australia.
“We were at the ground an hour-and-a-half beforehand, partly to warm up but also to reflect on the previous match and focus on our game-plan for the next one.
“Richard (Logan) played splendidly for us and it was great to see him opening the bowling for England in the Under-19s World Cup a few months later.
“After the game there was a glass of champagne and an interview with Sky Sports – I think I got about 30 seconds of airtime!
“Congratulations to the current Under-17s. Do your best in the test that is the final.”
In the aftermath of Northamptonshire’s Blast exit, it would be a timely morale-boost to see Claydon lift the trophy. Better still if a few members of the team emulate White, Logan and Powell from the Class of ’97 by making the professional grade.
Alex Wakely (25)
Graeme White (17)
Steven Crook (16)
Josh Cobb (13)
Ben Sanderson (12)
Richard Gleeson (11)
Richard Levi (10)
Rob Keogh (9)
Saif Zaib (7)
Rory Kleinveldt (7)
Max Holden (7)
Rob Newton (6)
David Murphy (6)
Tom Sole (6)
Adam Rossington (6)
Mohammad Azharullah (6)
Monty Panesar (4)
David Ripley (4)
Seekuge Prasanna (3)
Phil Rowe (3)
Chris Tombs (2)
Nathan Buck (2)
Gavin Warren (2)
Will Rogers (1)
Kevin Innes (1)
Mike Ferrandino (1)
County Council (1)
cllr Robin Brown (1)
Ray Payne (1)
NCCC holdings (1)
Chris Lorkin (1)
Second XI / Academy Physiotherapist (1)
Barry Goudriaan (1)
England Lions (1)
north v south (1)
David Sales (1)
Luke Procter (1)
- RUNS 4 FUNDS
- MONTY HELPS SECONDS TO NAIL-BITING WIN
- LEICESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- MONTY SEES HOW IT'S DONE AT SKY
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V KENT - DAY 4
- FUNERAL ARRANGEMENT'S FOR MAURICE KENT
- WAKELY'S WEEKLY
- STEELBACKS TRIUMPH IN 'BLAST' OPENER
- GLOUCS V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- Monty is appointed as Mental Health Ambassador
- 2 IN 2 FOR THE STEELBACKS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 3
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V ESSEX - DAY 4
- SRI LANKAN SEEKKUGE PRASANNA SIGNS FOR NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
- MIND OVER MATTER | PREPARATIONS CONTINUE
- OXFORD MCCU | DAY 2
- TO TOSS, OR NOT TO TOSS
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE VS SUSSEX | DAY 2
- NCCC & KENT SECOND XI VS WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XI
- OBITUARY | JOHN MINNEY 1939 - 2016
- EASYCOPIERS SPONSOR BEN DUCKETT
- NCCC SECOND XI VS LEICESTERSHIRE SECOND XI | DAY 3
- MIDSHIRES ELECTRICAL TO SPONSOR STEVEN CROOK
- ESSEX VS NORTHAMPTONSHIRE | DAY 4
- "LET'S CALL IT A DRAW..."
- PRE-SEASON TOUR BEGINS
- NO CHANGE AT THE TOP
- NEW SHAPE FOR COUNTY GAME IN 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENT
- NEW FACE AT THE ACADEMY
- STEELBACKS CAFE OPENING
- CRAZY HATS LADIES BACK IN ACTION
- ONE WIN, ONE DEFEAT IN BARBADOS T20
- A RIGHT ROYAL TREAT
- HOSTS SEE OFF COUNTY IN ONE-DAYER
- BEN AND ADAM IN FORM - TWICE!
- TOM'S THE HEART AND SOLE IN BARBADOS
- SQUAD TO FACE MIDDLESEX
- A FAN'S EYE VIEW
- Welcome to SportsAid
- "THE ALL-ROUND DISPLAY WE WERE LOOKING FOR"
- A Record Breaking Battle
- It's All White on the Night!
- Sri Lanka call up for Prasanna
- A Tough Night with the Wet Worcestershire Rapids
- IT'S A RLC WASHOUT AT WANTAGE ROAD
- Greene King extends sponsorship deal with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- WHITE SECOND IN PCA MVP 50 OVERS PERFORMANCE TABLE
- Moin Ashraf joins us on a short term basis
- DEFEAT IS HARD LINES ON DUCKETT
- Swim for Fish Charity Swim
- Back to the top of the table.
- T20 BBQ vs Nottinghamshire on Friday, 8th July
- Credit to Crook
- 500th player to represent Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- SUSSEX V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- STEELBACKS WIN ON FAMILY DAY
- DUCKETT MOVES INTO PCA MVP RANKINGS TOP FIVE
- Fan Blog by Ian Harris
- STEELBACKS TAME THE BEARS AT EDGBASTON
- STEELBACKS SHARE THE POINTS AT CHESTERFIELD
- Richard Gleeson signs official contract
- Top of the Table and Ahead of the Game
- IT'S A WASHOUT AT CHESTERFIELD
- STEELBACKS TARGET QUARTER-FINALS AGAINST 'BOGEY' OPPONENTS
- Steelbacks fail to tame the Outlaws
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V WORCESTERSHIRE - DAY 3
- WAIT FOR T20 QUARTERS GOES ON AFTER DURHAM DEFEAT
- Shoosmiths supports NCCC with continued sponsorship
- Duckett - 163 reasons to be proud
- Quarter Finals booked
- THANK YOU
- DUCKETT RELISHES BEING A LION IN HIS OWN DEN
- NO SENTIMENT AS WILLEY STINGS STEELBACKS
- KEOGH THE KEY MAN IN CRUSHING RLC VICTORY
- BEN GOES BIG - AGAIN - FOR THE LIONS
- BEARS' OPENERS SINK COUNTY AT EDGBASTON
- WORCESTER WIN KEEPS STEELBACKS' RLC HOPES ALIVE
- COMPETITION HOTS UP FOR NORTH v SOUTH PLACES
- STEELBACKS CLINCH HOME T20 'QUARTER' DESPITE DEFEAT
- Northamptonshire hosting Beer Festival
- STEELBACKS CLOSE IN ON ANOTHER QUARTER-FINAL
- Graeme White signs a new contract
- North v South success for White and Duckett
- Duckett named in Specsavers One to Watch shortlist
- Networking Breakfast and Open Day, 12th September 9am
- GLAMORGAN V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- WAKELY: "WE'LL ALWAYS CARE ABOUT THE CHAMPIONSHIP"
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- JOSH COBB SIGNS NEW THREE YEAR CONTRACT
- STEELBACKS CROWNED THE 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS
- Notice to all Club Members
- Barrett gets his first ton for Northamptonshire
- WORCESTERSHIRE V NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - DAY 4
- catering vacancies available
- KEOGH AND WHITE HAVE GLAMORGAN IN A SPIN
- KEOGH IMPRESSES IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- COUNTY COMPLETE KENT VICTORY
- MEMBERS VOTE TO CHANGE THE OWNERSHIP OF NCCC
- ECB and First Class Counties agree next steps in developing fresh T20 competition
- "Kleinveldt is a Steelback, to the core" - David Ripley
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V GLOUCESTERSHIRE - DAY 4
- DUCKETT GETS THE ENGLAND CALL UP
- GRAEME WHITE TOPS THE TABLE IN THE PCA MVP RANKINGS
- T20 CHAMPIONS DVD
- Ben Duckett shortlisted for NatWest PCA Awards
- BEN DUCKETT EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH NCCC
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SIGN PACE BOWLER NATHAN BUCK
- DUCKETT BECOMES FIRST EVER PLAYER TO WIN DOUBLE AT PCA AWARDS
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEELEY!
- David Murphy extends his contract with Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
- ROB NEWTON SIGNS NEW CONTRACT
- NCCC repay Northamptonshire County Council £1million
- Northamptonshire’s Chairman, Gavin Warren discusses plans for the new T20 Competition
- THE CLUB ANNOUNCE ITS CHOSEN CHARITY FOR 2017
- NCCC welcomes new Strength and Conditioning Coach, Chris Lorkin
- NCCC recruit England Under 19s’ Captain and Middlesex opener, Max Holden
- Huntingdon Racecourse dates for NCCC Season Ticket Holders
- OBITUARY | MICK YORK
- Sri Lanka A claim first win in Lions ODI series
- 2016 FINANCIAL YEAR END STATEMENT
- Sri Lanka A took a 2-0 lead in the five-match one-day series against England Lions
- England Lions slipped to a third consecutive defeat in their one-day series against Sri Lanka A.
- White Roars for the England Lions
- TEAM NORTH SECURE FIRST VICTORY IN SERIES WARM UP MATCHES
- £13,000 RAISED FOR THE NIGEL WAGSTAFF CHARITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHAMPTONSHIRE V LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V NOTTS
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V CARDIFF MCCU
- UPDATE | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE
- MATCH REPORT | NORTHANTS V HAMPSHIRE DAY 2
- Match Report | MCC v Middlesex Day One
- KEOGH SHINES AT EDGBASTON
- ANOTHER DAY OF HANDY PRACTICE AT EDGBASTON
- CLUB CAPTAIN EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT
- DUCKETT NAMED AS ONE OF WISDEN'S FIVE CRICKETERS OF THE YEAR
- WAKELY TON ROUNDS OFF RUN-FEST
- Duckett named most promising young cricketer of the year for 2016
- DAY TWO | NCCC THRASH GLAMORGAN IN TWO DAYS
- 'HODGE' TO BE REMEMBERED WITH NEW AWARD
- COUNTY BEATEN IN TWO-DAY THRILLER AT NEW ROAD
- Warwickshire defeat the Steelbacks in Royal London Cup opener!
- COUNTY COME OFF SECOND-BEST AT DERBY DESPITE LEVI TON
- Steelbacks and Worcestershire play out a thrilling tie at Wantage Road
- Wakely guides Steelbacks to first One Day Cup win of the season
- NORTHAMPTONSHIRE SLIP TO DURHAM CUP DEFEAT
- STEELBACKS SUFFER HOME DEFEAT AT THE HANDS OF A STRONG YORKSHIRE SIDE
- COUNTY WASHED OUT AT GRACE ROAD
- DAY 3 REPORT | DURHAM VS NCCC
- Northants Shares Success Target threshold achieved for sale of shares
- NCCC SEAL DRAMATIC WIN AGAINST DURHAM AT CHESTER-LE-STREET
- RUNS4FUNDS | Celebrity Charity Cricket Fun Day Saturday, June 24th 2017 | Althorp House, Northampton
- BUCK CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS
- NCCC has appointed Andrew Radd as its Honorary Archivist
- Rossington ruled out with finger fracture.
- REPORT | DAY 3 VS DERBYSHIRE
- WE ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE OUR NEW CATERING PARTNER
- Tabraiz Shamsi joins the Steelbacks for the NatWest T20 Blast
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC vs LEICESTERSHIRE
- ECB ANNOUNCES MEDIA RIGHTS DEALS FROM 2020 ONWARDS
- GLEESON MAKES HIS MARK IN PCA MVP RANKINGS
- REPORT | DAY 4 VS KENT
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS FALCONS
- DUCKETT BOOSTS STEELBACKS TO DURHAM VICTORY
- MATCH ABANDONED! No play possible vs Yorkshire
- MATCH REPORT | STEELBACKS vs BEARS
- N-TRANCE join Boombastic 90’s in Northampton for another huge NYE Party!
- HOLDEN ON FIRE FOR THE ENGLAND U19s
- STEELBACKS EDGE HOME AT GRACE ROAD
- STEELBACKS BEATEN AT DAMP TRENT BRIDGE
- Rob Newton has signed a new two-year deal at NCCC
- STEELBACKS CRUISE TO VICTORY OVER THE RAPIDS
- Derbyshire and Northants frustrated by heavy rain
- Steelbacks Lose thriller at Wantage Road
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LANCASHIRE LIGHTNING
- David Murphy to retire at the end of the season
- HOLDEN RETURNS TO NCCC FOR RED BALL CRICKET
- Kerrigan joins NCCC on one months loan
- STEELBACKS DEFEAT THE RAPIDS AT NEW ROAD
- 'KINGO' IS HONOURED WITH NEW AWARD
- NCCC to host first T20 Pro:Am
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS GLOUCESTERSHIRE
- REPORT | STEELBACKS VS LEICESTERSHIRE FOXES
- Report | Yorkshire Vikings Vs Steelbacks
- White signs contract extension
- Report | Steelbacks Vs Durham Jets
- Academy and U17s Enjoying strong Success
- Under-17s reach ECB Championship Final for the first time in 20 years
- NCCC Academy u17 trio help Midlands secure Super 4 trophy
- Day 1 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 2 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- Day 3 Report | Nottinghamshire vs NCCC
- DAY 4 REPORT - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE V NCCC
- Luke Procter joins Northamptonshire on loan
- Ben Sanderson signs three year contract
- PROMOTION SUCCESS FOR THE STEELETTOS
- DAY 4 REPORT | NCCC VS SUSSEX
- Local organisations come together to help open new creative studio for young mental health patients
- WHITE UNDERGOES SHOULDER SURGERY
- SYD STARKIE 1926-2017
- DUCKETT SUFFERS FRACTURED FINGER
- Day 4 Report | Nottinghamshire Vs NCCC
- KLEINVELDT CLIMBS PCA MVP RANKINGS AFTER CAREER BESTS
- SEAM BOWLER MUHAMMAD AZHARULLAH WILL LEAVE NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AT THE END OF THE 2017 SEASON
- Day 3 Report | Leicestershire vs Northamptonshire
- Northamptonshire sign seam bowling all-rounder Brett Hutton
- LEVI BAGS FOUR ON NCCC AWARDS NIGHT
- DUCKETT HEADED FOR AUSTRALIA WITH THE ENGLAND LIONS
- A note from Azhar