Northampton’s sporting finest take to the track in support of Northampton General Hospital
- Saints, Steelbacks and Cobblers to tackle Silverstone driving challenge
- Five places available in charity auction
- Expert tips and advice from professional instructors
To celebrate 2013 being one of the most successful years ever for Northampton sport, and to help raise funds for the County’s local hospital, Northampton General, players from the county’s three major sports teams – The Cobblers, Saints & Steelbacks – will be swapping balls, bats, pads and gloves for the hot seat of Single Seater race cars at the county’s ‘Jewel in the Crown’ of British motor sport, Silverstone.
Taking place on the afternoon of Wednesday 11 December, five players from each Club will take part in teams tackling a series of driving challenges around Silverstone’s Stowe Circuit. What’s more, Silverstone’s professional instructors will be on hand to offer the players expert tips and advice as they embark on their four-wheeled challenge.
To help raise money in aid of Northampton General’s Chemotherapy Department, the teams and Silverstone are auctioning off five places, to make up a team to take on the County’s sporting finest in two of the circuit’s most popular and adrenaline-filled cars:
- The Formula Silverstone Single-Seater - bespoke, race-prepared single-seaters, expertly engineered to provide a genuine racing experience. Producing 140bhp and capable of accelerating from 0-60mph in under five seconds – it’s time to get your race face on!
- The Caterham 7 - perhaps the ultimate performance driver training vehicle: small, light and with controls that give the driver perfect feedback – you’ll love it!
Both experiences are purposely designed for members of the public, so no previous racing or circuit driving experience is required. It’s all about maximum fun at maximum revs.
To bid for your chance to not only meet your Northampton sporting heroes, but go head-to-head with them on the race track – and help raise lots of money for a worthy cause - please visit: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200999439808?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Bidding for a place on the charity team started at 17:00hrs on Thursday 05 December. The auction will run for three days, closing at 17:00hrs on Sunday 08 December. Participants must be aged 18 or over, hold a full UK driving licence and be able to get themselves to Silverstone on Wednesday 11 December.
Club players and representatives currently confirmed to take part on Wednesday include (subject to change):
- The Steelbacks: Alex Wakely (Vice Captain), Steven Crook, James Middlebrook and Phil Rowe (2nd XI Coach & Academy Director). Fifth player / representative t.b.c.
- The Saints: Kahn Fotuali’i (Samoan national team captain), Stephen Myler (England international), Christian Day, James Wilson and Ryan Glynn
- The Cobblers: T.B.C.
Full details of driver requirements available here: Silverstone Single Seater Experience
Northampton sporting achievements in 2013:
- Northamptonshire County Cricket Club (The Steelbacks) crowned Friends Life t20 Champions
- Northampton Saints Rugby Club finish runners-up in the Aviva Premiership
- Northampton Town Football Club (The Cobblers) make the League 2 Play-Off Final
- Silverstone voted best F1 race of the season after staging one of the biggest and best British Grand Prix in years
To bid in the auction please visit:
– Ends –
For further information, or media interested in attending on the day, please contact Dan Leach at HPS Jardine:
Tel: +44 (0)1628 894 828 / +44 (0)7956 105171